Thursday, August 13, 2015

SOUTHWEST SUMMER SALAD WITH MANGO VINAIGRETTE




I travel a fair bit for work, and when I travel, I try to keep to my usual eating habits. Especially in places that I know will have excellent fresh vegan/vegetarian food. A few months ago I was in a small town in southern CA and I looked around for lunch spots. I found a cafe near my site which served only vegan food - I *had* to go! And I was hooked!! I ate there every single day of my trip, and I ate their version of this salad. It's *that* good! And so filling.

And the mango vinaigrette - let's just say I now have this dressing in the fridge *all* the time in case I suddenly crave it! You can really put any vegetables you wish on this salad... if you don't have jicama, use radishes. Toss on some roasted vegetables: cauliflower, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, a whole jalapeño, etc. Add a bit of roasted chicken or a filet of salmon to make it heartier.

Garnish with parsley instead of cilantro, or coarsely chopped almonds instead of pumpkin seeds. So many ways to make this your own...

Southwest Summer Salad with Mango Vinaigrette
makes: 2 servings

- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp. lime or lemon juice
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (or rice, millet, or lentils), cooled
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. currants or raisins
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 cup Mango Vinaigrette (recipe below)
  1. In a bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, and red onion. Toss with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper.
  2. Divide salad greens into two salad bowls or plates.
  3. Top each with 1 cup of cooked quinoa/millet/rice. Arrange the tomato mixture, jicama, and an avocado half on the greens. Drizzle with 2-3 tbsp. of the vinaigrette. Garnish with the sliced jalapeño, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, currants/raisins, and cayenne pepper.
  4. Serve additional dressing on the side.
Mango Vinaigrette
makes: approximately 1 cup

- 1 cup chopped fresh (or frozen) mango
- 1/2 cups safflower oil
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar (use lime juice if you don't have rice vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 in. piece of fresh ginger, peeled
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Store leftovers in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment